Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bill Clinton Now Pro-SSM


Former President William Jefferson Clinton spoke out publicly for same-sex marriage a few days ago. I have long villainized him for the Defense of Marriage Act. I'm willing to stop, so long as he urges the current President to lead dumping DOMA.
Tip of the toupee: To Pam's House Blend. I hadn't read my copy of The Nation.
In The Nation, Michael Tracey reports that Clinton's remarks came on July 8th, after he spoke to the Campus Progress National Conference in D.C. Word is:
Asked if he personally supported same-sex marriage, Clinton replied, "Yeah." "I personally support people doing what they want to do," Clinton said. "I think it's wrong for someone to stop someone else from doing that [same-sex marriage]."
That doesn't repeal any or all of DOMA by itself. However, it goes a long way intellectually and emotionally toward pressuring Barack Obama. When the current President knows how much this former one has evolved, perhaps he can screw up the courage to fulfill that campaign promise to overturn DOMA. He might even 'fess up that he too wants marriage equality.

Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: